Thanks to our dear friends who had us over last week, I discovered the magic that is Fava Beans.
This week, my boys and I sat in a circle and shelled the beans. I relished in their focused attention, and in how for a moment in time I felt like we were living in a different time and place....where things were simpler, slower, closer to the land (and I probably spoke French.) ;)
Here is my simple recipe for Fava Bean Deliciousness:
- Take the beans out of their pods
- Blanch them in boiling water for about 3 minutes
- After they cool, tear open the skin to reveal the bright green, starchy bean
- Saute with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper
- Rip 1 bunch of kale into small pieces and massage with lemon and sea salt
- Add veggies (carrots, bell peppers, radishes, green onions)
- Add the warm fava beans
- Drizzle with olive oil, s+p, mix and enjoy!
(You can also add the dressing of your choice to "dress" it up.)